Monday, September 06, 2010

Dinner Co-op Day 1

Today was the first day of my neighborhood dinner co-op.  Myself and two friends have decided to give this a try.  It all began for two reasons:
1. I love having hot meals brought to me but I just don't want to have another baby or be sick to get them
2. One of our MOPS meetings this year is talking about cooking and alternative ways to cook for busy moms.

Honestly, this is an experiment but I don't know if I have words to describe how excited I am.  Here is the schedule.  I get dinner brought to me on Mondays and Thursdays and I take dinner on Tuesdays.  Wednesdays are always spent at church and Fridays are usually "Pizza" days or "go out to eat" days.  The weekend is a free-for-all anyway so for my family, we will most likely eat the left-overs.  How awesome is that.  I cook one day and rest for six.  Why didn't I think of this before?

The menu for today was Cheesy Chicken Chowder and Cheesy Texas Toast.  (Can I get a hip hip horray for Cheese!!)  It was DELICIOUS!!  Here is the verdict from the family:

John: ate 2 1/2 bowls and said "mmmm" the whole time
Kara:  I give it 3 thumbs up (I don't have 3 thumbs, but if I did...)
Hannah:  "This is actually good, mom.  Can you homemake this too?"
Abigail:  ate 2 bowls and her favorite part was the celery.  Who knew?
Rebekah:  Seemed to enjoy it but her favorite part was the bread.

I would say this meal was a hit with the Wagnons!!!  Stay tuned for tomorrow.  On the menu...Lasagna and Brownies!!!  Yeah Baby!



Recipe for Cheesy Chicken Chowder:
8 cups chicken broth
3 cups peeled, diced potatoes
2 cups diced celery
2 cups diced carrots
1 cup diced onions
1 stick butter
2/3 cups all purpose flour
6 cups milk
2 Tbl soy sauce
1 16oz block Velveeta Cheese
4 cups cooked chicken (chopped)

Combine first 5 ingredients in large saucepan.  Cover and cook over med. heat 15 mins or until veggies are tender.  Melt butter over low heat; add flour, stir until smooth.  Cook 1 min; stirring constantly.  Gradually stir in milk; cook over med heat; stir constantly until thickened and bubbly.  Gradually stir in veggie mixture, soy sauve, cheese and chicken.  Cook until cheese melts and mixture is thoroughly heated.

No comments: