Tuesday, September 21, 2010

Dinner Co-op Day 6 and 7

Today I am playing catch up.  On Day 6 we had Stuffed Shells with Spaghetti Sauce and Apple Crisp.

Stuffed Shells
Apple Crisp
The Stuffed Shells and Apple Crisp were very yummy.  I don't think I have had stuffed shells in a long time.  I remember making this several years ago but my biggest complaint was the time it took to stuff the shells. 

The Apple Crisp happens to be one of my favorites.  I added a little Cool Whip to my portion and it was sooo good.

Here is the verdict from the family:
Kara:  Oh SOOO good
Hannah:  "Well, I like it but I want more sauce"
Abigail:  "I love it!"
Rebekah:  She liked it...take a look at the picture.
John:  "They were good"
If you get a thumbs up from a 2 yr old...it must be good!!
Recipe for Stuffed Shells: (From Tricia)
I used the big bags of frozen stuffed shells from the commissary, Caesar's brand.  There are 22 in each bag.  I put 18 in each of your 9x13 dishes.  I put the remaining 8 + one bag of little ravioli's in the one for my family, just to make sure we all had enough.
Then covered them with jarred sauce, baked covered with foil for an hour.  I think I used 4 jars of sauce for the 3 pans.  Then sprinkled with some mozarella and bake uncovered for 5 more min.

Recipe For Apple Crisp: (From Tricia)

  • 10 cups all-purpose apples, peeled, cored and sliced

  • 1 cup white sugar

  • 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour

  • 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon

  • 1/2 cup water


  • 1 cup quick-cooking oats

  • 1 cup all-purpose flour

  • 1 cup packed brown sugar

  • 1/4 teaspoon baking powder

  • 1/4 teaspoon baking soda

  • 1/2 cup butter, melted
    1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degree C).
    2. Place the sliced apples in a 9x13 inch pan. Mix the white sugar, 1 tablespoon flour and ground cinnamon together, and sprinkle over apples. Pour water evenly over all.
    3. Combine the oats, 1 cup flour, brown sugar, baking powder, baking soda and melted butter together. Crumble evenly over the apple mixture.
    4. Bake at 350 degrees F (175 degrees C) for about 45 minutes.


  • Day 7:   Crock Pot Pork Chops and Chocolate Chip Ice cream

    This was the first time I have had Pork Chops in the crock pot.  They were mighty delicious!  Totally falling off the bone!!  I fixed mashed potatoes, sweet corn, and crescent rolls with my meal.  For dessert we had brownies and Chocolate Chip Ice cream.  CC Ice Cream is hard to find these days so being able to eat it was a treat.

    Verdict:
    Kara:  "WOW!  Delicious"
    John:  "This is MONEY!" 
    Hannah:  "Do I have to eat the potatoes?"
    Abigail:  "Can I have MORE potatoes?"
    Rebekah:  She seemed to suffer through it...I don't think anything would have made her happy.

    Sorry, no pictures.  We ate and cleaned it up before I could take a pic.

    Recipe for Pork Chops:  (from Nicole)
    Place 4-6 pork chops in the slow cooker (if you put a liner
    in, clean-up is a breeze, too)
    Mix 1 can of cream of celery soup with 1 can of milk (I just 'rinse' out
    my soup can)
    Pour mixture over the pork chops and let it cook all day!
    They will practically melt in your mouth!

    No comments: